Wednesday, January 5, 2011

update.

happy new year!! i can't believe the race is only a month and a half away!

training has been going really well. after a month or two of random aches and pains and the usual mental game of "why on EARTH did i think this was a good idea??" and "can i really do this??" i figured it was now or never, put my game face on and started pounding out the miles. it's amazing the determination you can muster once you commit to something whole-heartedly.

this week is my "rest" week, thank goodness! i will only be running 12 miles for my long run and it just so happens to be perfect timing because i will be in dallas for the weekend at a retreat. i'm happy to be starting 2011 with a little r&r - for both body and spirit. i'm hoping to have time to stop in austin on the way home so i can run on my favorite trail :) oh town lake, how i've missed you!

i got some great gifts for christmas to keep me motivated and on track...first of all, i am so happy to report that i met my fundraising goal on christmas eve!!! is that a great gift or what?!? so so happy about that! cody got me lots of running-themed gifts (thanks, babe!) including a new i pod shuffle, some running socks, a gift certificate for a massage, and my favorite beer for a post-run treat. mom got me some relaxing bath salts and comfy socks, and christina & matt got me a awesome livestrong jacket! i'm all set :)

over the holiday break i was able to get some solid long runs in, including a 19.5 miler, a 15 miler (on a treadmill, no less! that takes a lot of red bull and advil, let me tell ya ;), an 8.5 miler with christina, and an 18 miler on new years eve.
i'm feeling strong and healthy. this time around i'm taking particularly good care of my body...making sure i'm eating well & taking time for pilates and stretching and boy can i tell a difference in my runs! i'm also cross-training with spinning and yoga to keep my muscles strong but not overworked.

oh, and i have a particularly good running buddy to keep me motivated...jack is now up to 4 miles straight! his excitement to hit the trails is contagious!

1 comment:

  1. What a handsome running buddy! How thoughtful of your family to get you that great running stuff! I hope the rest of your training goes well!

    ReplyDelete